Advanced kitting for maximum weight saving and performance
Diab’s innovative advanced kits offer optimized fit in the mould, reduced resin consumption, and improved cosmetics for infusion and prepreg applications.
Combining Diab’s extensive knowledge of kits and infusion with custom software created especially for the task, we can optimize the curvature cuts required in the core to perfectly fit the local curvature of your mould, while minimizing resin usage.
Using a CNC proprietary cut profile for each kit detail, the core is cut part way through its thickness, eliminating the need for a scrim backing, leaving a smooth surface and curvature on the mould side.
The core can also be perforated to allow for resin distribution and airflow. You can add additional grooves to the core surface to distribute resin without the need for a flow mesh. The result is a kit with excellent formability, reduced resin consumption and an improved surface finish.
Benefits from advanced kits
- Lower resin consumption, up to 50-75 % less than a traditional GS kit.
- Reduced structural weight.
- Improved surface quality due to an intact foam layer without GS scrim closest to the mould side fibre reinforcement.
- Improved fit in the mould. Each core detail is CNC machined for high accuracy and repeatability,and can be designed to have zero spring back.
- Varying bevels can easily be implemented.
- Improved quality and consistency of infusion (reduced risk of race-tracks when infusing).
- Allowing larger foam details will speed up the lay-up procedure.
- Repeatability between kits.
- Simple to incorporate add-ons into the foam kit for better positioning such as laser tracking lines or Kit-Locks.
- Kit-Locks enable easier positioning in the mould and ensures every panel is tightly joined, eliminating the need of hot melt glue.
- Due to the improved fit in the mould, reduced number of grids, and minimal gaps between details, the high laminate quality achieved dramatically reduces the need for post-grinding and finishing work, reducing cost.
- The Diab developed program to determine optimum grid directions in each detail allows the total resin usage for the core kit to be calculated and compared to other kit designs.
To save time and increase quality, we can include additional positioning milling for fast and correct fitting of the beam structure. The improved fit in the mould achieved by advanced kitting also reduces the number of grids and creates minimal gaps between details. The high laminate quality that’s attained decreases cost, by dramatically reducing the need for post-grinding and finishing work. With Diab’s proprietary program, we can determine optimum grid directions in each detail. This allows the total resin usage for the core kit to be calculated and compared to other kit designs.
Advanced kitting is the optimal solution where weight, resin usage and surface finishing are critical. Sailing boats, powerboats, yachts, simulators, antennas, aerospace applications etc. are excellent examples where you can utilize the benefits of advanced kits to the best effect.