Advanced kitting for maximum weight saving
Diab’s innovative advanced kits offer optimized fit in the mould, reduced resin consumption, and improved cosmetics for infusion and prepreg applications.
Combining Diab’s extensive knowledge of kits and infusion with custom software created especially for the task, we can optimize the curvature cuts required in the core to perfectly fit the local curvature of your mould, while minimizing resin usage.
Using a CNC proprietary cut profile for each kit detail, the core is cut part way through its thickness, eliminating the need for a scrim backing, leaving a smooth surface and curvature on the mould side.
The core can also be perforated to allow for resin distribution and airflow. You can add additional grooves to the core surface to distribute resin without the need for a flow mesh. The result is a kit with excellent formability, reduced resin consumption and an improved surface finish.
- Lower resin consumption, up to 50–75% less than a standard Industrial kit.
- Reduced structural weight.
- Reduced resin cost.
- Improved surface finish, no wide cuts through the core causing local resin build-ups, and no need for scrim. It can be designed to have zero gaps between core details.
- Improved fit in the mould. Each core detail is CNC machined for high accuracy and repeatability, and it can be designed to have zero spring-back.
- Varying bevels can easily be implemented.
- Improved quality and consistency of infusion (reduced risk of race-tracks when infusing).
- Repeatability between kits.
To save time and increase quality, we can include additional positioning milling for fast and correct fitting of the beam structure. The improved fit in the mould achieved by advanced kitting also reduces the number of grids and creates minimal gaps between details. The high laminate quality that’s attained decreases cost, by dramatically reducing the need for post-grinding and finishing work. With Diab’s proprietary program, we can determine optimum grid directions in each detail. This allows the total resin usage for the core kit to be calculated and compared to other kit designs.
Advanced kitting is the optimal solution where weight, resin usage and surface finishing are critical. Sailing boats, powerboats, yachts, simulators, antennas, aerospace applications etc. are excellent examples where you can utilize the benefits of advanced kits to the best effect.